Post Graduate Certificate Understanding Radicalisation at the University of Derby
The University of Derby are running a stand-alone Postgraduate Certificate ‘Understanding Radicalisation’ (at level 7) in the College of Law Humanities and Social Sciences.
We are now recruiting for a January 16th enrolment date. There are three modules which run consecutively: Concepts of Global Terrorism (January to April 2017); Understanding Radicalisation (April to July 2017); and Contemporary Issues in Intelligence and Security (Sept-Nov 2017). Students can take any two modules for a level 7 CPD, or all three for the full PG Cert which is 60 credits. The modules run from 5pm-8pm in the evening with one Saturday commitment in each of the three modules.
We are planning for a full MSC in Intelligence, Security and Emergency Planning, which we hope to have available from Sept 2017 so there is a natural progression route for students who want to go on to a full masters either part time or fulltime.
A PG Cert in Understanding Radicalisation will attract front line professionals across statutory sectors, policy makers, students of politics, religion and belief, sociology, criminology, law, psychology, International Relations, and those working in community-based settings or in the charitable sector. The programme will:
- Develop your understanding of the nature and causes of radicalisation.
- Examining theories of radicalisation which provides you with a basis for a critical approach to policy-making strategies.
- You’ll be able to investigate social and political concerns for security and will critically assess these against traditional institutional formats.
- Examine the social psychology of intelligence and radical thinking, feeling and behaviour.
- You will develop an appreciation of the relationship between academic theories conceptualising terrorism and the practical and ethical considerations of social realities.
- You will be able to assess the impact on freedoms, ethics and human rights and critically evaluate the legal and practical implications for counter terrorism policy in the UK and elsewhere.
Module leader for the programme is Dr Phil Henry - for details see: http://www.derby.ac.uk/staff/philip-henry/
For information on how to apply for January 16th 2017 start, see: http://www.derby.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/understanding-radicalisation-pg-cert/